Sexuality Q/A & Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditional Definition Vs Modern Definition

Go down

Traditional Definition Vs Modern Definition Empty Traditional Definition Vs Modern Definition

Post  LFury Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Is a female considered a virgin, if she has only had sex with another female with no female-male intercourse? (Or Male-Male Relations)

The traditional definition surrounding virginity, I believe is very narrowly defined and based on a heterosexual model of sexual activity. To be a virgin, in the traditional sense, means that the person has not engaged in sexual intercourse (implying a female and male sexual relation).

I personally have resolved the issue concerning the definition of virginity by allowing for a broad definition that includes the possibility of same-sex activities. I refer to this as a sexual maturity model.

The sexual maturity model would start at zero-being no knowledge of sex or sexual activities and further increasing in number based on the gaining of knowledge, experience and maturity (emotional, mental, and physical).

People have questioned whether or not my definition would affect things in the legal sense. I do NOT believe that any legality would be compromised. Legal concerns, such as rape, incest, inappropriate touching, etc. would still be held in place. I don’t foresee the development of a sexual maturity scale as interfering with legal concerns, because as a whole (at least in the USA), the idea of females being the property of men is no longer practiced in any legal sense.

I also want to note that illegal actions such as the above would affect an individual’s maturity level by hindering it or helping it. The best way I can find some sort of equivalency between my maturity model and the traditional definition would be to say that on a physical level, once a person has engaged in any kind of sex (oral, intercourse, anal), then they would be considered no longer a virgin.

Of course, my assumption is that if a sexual maturity model is adopted, then we would no longer speak of virgins and virginity (black and white thinking), but that we would attempt to describe the individual’s sexual maturity in terms of emotional, mental, and physical scales (shades of grey thinking).

Does anyone else have anything to add that I may have missed (as I did not read all of the previous posts before I joined in on the discussion)? Or concerns with a model of this kind? Any questions? Do you think this model is appropriate (in all situations, in no situations, in some situations)? If only in certain situations, then what situations? If no situations, why not?

LFury

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum